Thursday, September 18, 2008

Top Summer Songs of 2008

With the last day of summer fast approaching….(first day of fall is September 22)…let us reminisce about summer songs of 2008!

I smile and nod as I hear my co-worker, Freeway Frank of the “Freeway and Meg Morning Show” come on after the end of Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl” and say…”that song is definitely THE summer track of 2008”! I agree with Frank but I think Katy had some competition this year!!

The following is my small list of Top Summer Tracks of 2008:

Katy Perry “I Kissed A Girl”: I quickly turn to my husband Jamie and say “quick, give me the top summer track of ‘08”!! His reply…”I Kissed a Girl……but I hate it”!! Ha!
For the record, I quite enjoyed it. I found myself enjoying it even more when I got to talk with Katy while she was in Calgary over the summer. Very bright, very together and a breath of fresh air.

The Pussy Cat Dolls “When I Grow Up”: Another track many love to hate. Again, I chuckle thinking about my husband one morning, dancing around the bathroom in a towel to this tune. When Jamie notices that I notice him dancing, he promptly stops and says “This song is awful, but it’s got a good beat”!
Our Energy Sales manager (Gavin), also came running down to the studio one afternoon when I was playing the song…Gav poked his head in and said…..”you can’t help but love this song Erin…..it’s that song that the drunk guy at a wedding is dancing on a table to, swinging his jacket over his head at the end of the night”! Ha!
Oh and for the record…..I’ve been told by Meg Tucker of the “Freeway and Meg Morning Show” and also by Energy Promotions Director Khazma, that it’s “Groupies”, not “Boobies”.

Leona Lewis “Bleeding Love”: Love, love, love this track. I’ve played it on Energy 101-5 at least five times a week since the Spring of ’08 and I’m still not sick of it. Another summer memory attached to “Bleeding Love” is when Chelsea and Mark danced so beautifully to it on, “So You Think You Can Dance”. You can check them out on YouTube if you missed it.

Metro Station “Shake It”: I had the chance to chat with Trace Cyrus (vocals/guitar) for Metro Station…also the brother of Miley! I admitted to Trace, that for an entire week, I listened to their self titled CD on the way home from work and that it made me want to drive fast. He laughed and replied, “I just did an interview with a guy down in California who got a speeding ticket listening to our song “Shake It”. It seems I’m in good company.




Ray J and Yung Berg “Sexy Can I”: Is it bad that I’m a Mom and I love this really dirty track?! It’s just so….sexy. Over the summer, by mistake I was caught by my husband downloading it onto my i-pod. But I was accidently, downloading the X-Rated version. He wasn’t too impressed…especially when my 6 year old daughter Hailey came dancing into the room and said “Mommy, this song has a good beat”. Ooooops!



Kid Rock “All Summer Long”: Although I’m not a huge Kid Rock fan, I think that this is the serious contender for “I Kissed A Girl”! How could it NOT be, with the word summer in the title?


I hope you add to my small list of Top Summer Tracks of 2008…and make it a bigger list. Hope you had a great summer….here’s to fall!


Erin

6 comments:

Erin Wilde said...

3 comments Updated 10 hours ago

Crystal Park Curveon wrote
at 11:53am
Duffy's Merchy...it was another memorable dance number on So you think you can dance and everytime I hear this song I think of that dance!! (although it did come out long before the summer but I think of it as a summer '08 song)

Jill DeYoung wrote
at 12:07pm
I just got a visual of Jamie dancing in a towel.

Crystal Park Curveon wrote
at 1:10pm
oops i meant Mercy not Merchy...lol

Erin Wilde said...

Dennis Deveaux wrote
at 10:27am
"Just Dance" by Lady Ga-Ga has to be in the list.... it was definitely one of my favorite tracks this summer.

Mike's Bloggity Blog said...

I HATE the Kid Rock song! This guy is such a joke, I can't believe Calgary loves it soooo much!

Erin Wilde said...

Melissa Godfrey wrote
at 5:42pm
I love all of those songs, except....the Pussycat Dolls new one. It is so annoying. I change the radio station or flip it to my iPod or cd when the song comes on. It just sounds like they're talking in the song not singing. Also, I'm not really into Kid Rock either, but I love his version of Sweet Hoem Alabama. He performed it on tv during the Fashion Rocks show, Lynyrd Skynyrd came out towards the end of Kid Rock's version and then played his original. I recorded the performance. It's in my videos.

Erin Wilde said...

Pat Poyner (Vancouver, BC) wrote
at 8:48pm yesterday
Anything by the Wiggles.

Unknown said...

Totally love Leaona Lewis,such talent and an amazing woman. I cannot get enough of her music.

Brendan Weiss