Friday, August 22, 2008

Our Pets Quirky Ways:


I’ve lived with pets my entire life….(I grew up with cats)……but, it was only after my marriage to Jamie, that I brought home my first dog. She was 9 weeks home when I brought her home. She is a gorgeous, 9 year old Black Lab….her name, is Hyack! I love her to bits and often refer to her as my “first” child.

Over the years with Hyack, I’ve observed (like humans), our pets exhibit some pretty quirky habits/rituals. Three come to mind for my pooch Hyack….

I think this one is common for most dogs-
I’ll leave the house for 3 minutes to grab the mail and walk back into the house to be greeted by a wagging tail and panting, as if I hadn’t seen her for a week! I wonder if dogs have short term memory OR, do they love us that much? I hope it’s the latter!

Hyack’s second quirky habit always cracks me up. Whenever I walk through the door, she’ll find whatever is layin’ on the ground (toys, socks, shoes) and bring them to me. She won’t calm down until I tell her to “drop it” OR pull it out of her mouth. I wonder if this is a form of seeking approval?

Finally, the habit that Hyack has been doing since she was a pup. If it’s a hot day, whenever I fill up her water dish, she dips her entire face in the bowl and then proceeds to slap all of the water out of the bowl with her paws.
I’ve recently learned that dogs’ noses are their “cooling systems”-face in the water now makes sense. Paws slapping water out of her bowl? Guess she’s just playing!

I look forward to hearing the quirks of your pets. Not just dogs……but cats, canaries, horses, pigs-whatever you have!

Till next Friday, have a great week.

Erin

3 comments:

Melissa Godfrey said...

Hey Erin, I've never been able to live with pets at my house(since my parents are allergic). But I have a photo of my BF's Aunt's dog playing in a bucket of water. We were playing fetch with her(she's a great retriever....she drops the ball back in front of you right away and then barks...because she's already ready for the next throw). It was a hot humid day in Kelowna that day. And where they(her and the other 2 dogs) are kept, there's dirt and all around. She decided to splash around in her water bucket after playing fetch.

The picture is in my facebook photos of Kelowna, B.C. Vacation Pics #1. Page 3, 4th photo at the top(first row going across). I thought that it was hillarious, so I had to take the pic.

Erin Wilde said...

Doug Hass wrote
at 4:33pm yesterday
Hyack is gorgeous!!! Obviously loves to swim too :-)
Delete

Samantha Buckle (Portsmouth) wrote
at 4:56pm yesterday
I have 8 animals in my house, my hubby say's its a petting zoo..lol
I couldnt be without them though.
I love having animals around and my dog is so cute he brings me his bowl when its empty.lol
He reminds me of the dog in Little Nicky the way he sleeps.
Delete

Thomas Carl Reyes wrote
at 6:46am
Every time I come home from work, Max, our Maine Coon cat comes to the hallway to greet me. He lays down on the floor and rolls back and forth while I'm petting him on his tummy. He begins purring and rubbing his face against my hand. He does this for at least 5 minutes until I stop and put my things away. We've had dogs before, and he's the most dog-like cat I've known. Enjoy the times with your pet, Erin. For they are precious moments that you'll carry with you always. Pets are the companions who love their masters unconditionally and who express their feelings according to their unique personalities. Live life with them!
Delete

Unknown said...

Hey Erin!
Hyack is too sweet.....
My dog Stella has some pretty strange habits as well! The quirkiest one is that she has to take out all the large "crunchies" from her bowl and take them to the bedroom and eat them off the rug!... one at a time and just the large ones....needless to say you have to watch where you are walking and the vacuum is always on standby!
Suz