Monday, January 19, 2009

Facebook Profiles....Detecting Narcissism??

A few months back a co-worker (who is NOT on Facebook) passed the results of a recent Facebook study over to me. I chuckled, hung onto it...and found it this morning. Better late than never....

Apparantely Facebook profiles can be used to detect whether someone is a narcissist. The word narcissist refers to someone who's self-centered and suffers from an inflated ego. Scientists have scoured millions of Facebook pages to determine those who are the hard-core narcissists.

Professor Keith Campbell says (quote) "Narcissists are using Facebook the same way they use their other relationships......for self promotion with an emphasis on quantity over quality". The two signs that you may have an unhealthy does of vanity is that you collect thousands of "friends" on Facebook. Also, the narcissist is likely to use a glamour photo, not a candid pic on their main profile page.


He! He! He! I suppose I'm a "partial" narcissist! I have over a thousand friends (hey, I love my Energy listeners and all my new friends from around the globe)....but I'm happy to report, no glamour shots for me (not this month anyway). It's a candid shot...and I'm wearing angel wings. I think there's a joke in there somewhere.

Have a great week.

Erin

1 comment:

Erin Wilde said...

Alexis Hood at 1:15pm January 19
I know a few of these people!!!! And I highly doubt you are one of them Erin ;)

Kimberly McCorkell at 4:27pm January 19
Indeed! And while perhaps all narcissits fit that profile, not all people who fit that profile are necessarily narcissists ;) ! Hugs from myself and your other thousand or so friends!!

Dawn Henry at 7:43pm January 19
that would be "false logic"

Heather Hamilton at 10:18pm January 19
In my opinion... Sounds to me like the Professor is an introvert that lacks social skills, therefore trying to convince funloving, outgoing, extroverts that they should be deemed Narcissist. In fact, a Narcissist does not make that much time for others because they are so infatuated with themselves. Hmmmm? I wonder how many friends he has on facebook? Betcha he grows Daffodils in his garden!