Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Disposing of the Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL)

In honour Of Earth Day I've been posting daily "Green Tips" on my Facebook and Twitter pages. One of my recent tips was regarding the use of CFLs. One of our Energy listeners (Kimberly), sent me some additional information regarding the disposal of these particular light bulbs! Read on....


I remember seeing your recent earth tip about using CFL light bulbs. I don't remember if you also mentioned recycling them. If not, it might be a good follow up tip :) I recently learned that they contain mercury and must not be thrown in the garbage and the city of calgary does not recylce them. I called 3-1-1 and they said that Home depot supposedly will take them and recycle them. Here is a website I found on a "Project Porchlight" bulb I was given at work:

http://earth911.com/


Earth911.com - Find Recycling Centers and Learn How To Recycle
Source: earth911.com
Guide to local resources including recycling centers, how to recycle, pollution prevention and how help protect the environment.

Thanks for the info. Kimberly...Happy Recycling!

Erin

1 comment:

Melissa said...

These bulbs can also be dropped off at Ikea for recycling. Ikea also has a bin for recycling batteries.