Friday, February 20, 2009

WOW...She's 100!!!!!

Wow…she’s 100!!

On February 12, 2009 my Great Aunt Annie turned 100 years old. This past weekend, family and friends had a big party to celebrate her milestone birthday. I was one of the many who attended and was thrilled to sit down with Annie to chat with her about living to 100…

For 100, Annie and is as sharp as a tack with a great sense of humor too. As I pull my chair up to talk with her, she turns to me and says, “everyone keeps telling me that I’m over-the-hill…I’d say it’s more like over-the-mountain!”.

Annie was born on February 12, 1909 in Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Erin: Aunt Annie, did you have any siblings?

Annie: Yes, I had 4 brothers and 1 sister.

Erin: And you’ve always been healthy?

Annie: Oh, yes.

Erin: Is there anyone else in your family who has lived to 100?

Annie: Yes. My Mother had both an Aunt and an Uncle who lived to 104 and 106.

Erin: How long did your parents live?

Annie: My Mother was 91 and my Father was 82.

Erin: In your wildest dreams did you ever think you’d live to be 100?

Annie: I never really thought about it!

Erin: What do you think lends to your longevity?

Annie: Having parents who live long. Luck. I never smoked and I never drank.

Erin: You never had a drink, ever?

Annie: (chuckling)…well, when I was around 18 years old, I went to a birthday party. It was behind my house, down the back alley. They had nothing to eat, just drink. My sister and I were served a glass of something. Suddenly, the room started spinning. I left the party, staggering down the alley….I felt awful. I went up to my bedroom and slept it off. I swore I would NEVER have another drink again…and I didn’t!

Side note: the “drink” in question was apparently homemade wine.

Erin: You never married Aunt Annie?

Annie: NO! I was too smart for marriage (entire table laughs including Annie)

Erin: So no marriage…..and no kids?

Annie: None of my own but I was a school teacher. I taught for 45 years. 41 in Medicine Hat and 4 in the country.

Erin: What grade?

Annie: I taught grade 5 for many years. Many of my students stayed in touch with me for a long time. In fact, one boy I taught sent me a Christmas card every year until last year. I’m assuming he passed away. You see, I started teaching when I was 18….I wasn’t much older than the kids I was teaching!

Erin: Do you have any cherished childhood memories you can still re-call?

Annie: Oh yes. Back when I was a child, my Mom and Dad wouldn’t put the Christmas tree up until all we kids had gone to bed (on Christmas Eve). Once we were asleep, up went the tree. They would decorate it and lay all of the presents underneath the tree. I remember waking up one Christmas morning to find the most beautiful doll tied to the bough of the tree. Oh how I loved that doll!



My great Aunt Annie received messages from the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, the Governor General of Canada and the Queen!

Happy Birthday Aunt Annie….I hope to have half of your health and energy when I’m 50!!

Have a great weekend!

Erin

No comments: